Helpful Tips For Your Decking Project! If you're considering decking for your outdoor space in…
Sprucing up your outdoor living space can be a great way to make the most of your property while improving its style and value. Decking is one of the best options when it comes to transforming an area into a more inviting and attractive space – but before you jump right in, there are some things that you need to know about decking so that you’re better informed on how it works and what’s involved. That’s precisely why Deck Builders Canberra have created this blog post; to provide everything you need to know about decking to decide whether it’s the right option for your home!
What is decking, and what are the benefits of having a deck installed in your backyard or garden
Decking is a flat surface raised above the ground and used for outdoor entertaining. Generally, decks are created from timber boards or composite planks (a combination of wood fibre and plastic). Decking has become popular in recent years as it’s an effective way to create usable living space outdoors without needing a complete renovation or extension of your home.
There are many benefits to having a deck installed in your outdoor space. It is an attractive feature that can be decorated and accessorised with furniture or plants. Decking is relatively low maintenance – the timber boards need regular cleaning, but they do not need to be painted or sealed.
Decking is also a cost-effective way of transforming an outdoor area into a usable living space. It’s relatively simple to install and can be done quickly and easily with minimal disruption to your existing garden.
The different types of decking materials that are available on the market today
Decking materials vary in terms of colour, texture, durability and cost. Common decking materials include:
– Natural timber is the traditional decking material and is usually made from hardwoods such as oak, walnut or mahogany. It’s robust, durable and looks great with various furniture styles.
– Composite decking is made from wood fibre, plastic and other additives. It’s slip-resistant, low maintenance and available in various colours and textures.
How to choose the right type of decking for your home and garden
The following factors will determine the most suitable decking for your home;
– Location – Consider the area you plan to install your decking in and if it’s exposed to rain, wind and sun. Different materials will perform better in specific conditions.
– Maintenance – Some decking requires regular maintenance, such as staining or sealing, while others are more low maintenance.
– Budget – Decking can range from very inexpensive to more expensive, depending on the material.
– Aesthetics – Consider the look and feel of the decking you want for your home. Different materials offer different styles and finishes.
– Durability – Consider the climate and whether it’s prone to strong winds, heavy rain or extreme temperatures, as this will determine the best material for your deck.
– Safety – Ensure all materials used are non-slip and safe to walk on in wet or dry conditions.
The cost of installing a deck and how to save money on the installation process
Deck installation is relatively affordable, but you should still factor in the cost of materials and labour when budgeting for your deck.
The best way to save money on installation is to do some of the work yourself. This could include painting, staining or sealing the decking, as well as laying the boards on a frame. You may also want discounted materials, such as reclaimed wood or recycled plastic. This can make the overall cost of your project more affordable.
Tips for maintaining your deck so it looks great year-round
Maintenance of your deck will keep it looking great for years to come. It’s essential to follow a few simple steps to keep your deck in good condition:
• Clean the deck regularly using mild detergent and warm water.
• Sand rough spots and nail heads as needed.
• Apply deck sealer or stain once a year to protect the wood from moisture.
How Decking Canberra can help you with all your decking needs
With decking, you can create a beautiful, functional, and long-lasting outdoor living space. If you want a company to build your dream deck, call Decking Canberra. They specialise in custom decks and have experience with various materials, including timber and composite. They would happily meet with you to discuss your needs and provide a free quote. Call them today!